The moment finally came 

When our souls encountered 

The child in my womb jumped with delight 

My soul rejoices 

 

Your presence is the acclaimed succor 

Our souls are reunited once again 

More than a cousin my sister 

My heart rejoices 

 

Oh, what a grateful heart 

Unselfishness vastly illustrious 

Who forgets oneself to aid another 

My spirit rejoices 

 

Oh, the tender women cannot believe their sight 

Their eyes contemplate such an event 

Reunited, what a felicity to perceive 

My heart rejoices 


(Maria Bello, 2023) 

 

Let us take a closer look at Bill Viola’s The Greeting the video and the oil on panel of Jacopo Pontormo The Visitation c. These art pieces attracted my attention due to their significant importance. The art pieces do a marvelous job transmitting emotions through facial expressions. The person appreciating these art pieces can intake the feelings conveyed through them. My poem intends to speak of what the paintings do so wonderfully. I try to capture in words the immense joy that Mary and her cousin Elizabeath transmit in the paintings. My ekphrasis wants to contribute to the spirituality of the works. 

The painting is like a triangle. We see Mary and Elizabeth as the main characters in the front of the piece. Then as the audience and or witness are the ladies in the background, they complete the triangle. This gives the painting symmetry and dimension, as it adds interest. The women in the background are the live bystanders of such an important event. The holding of the hands in one painting and the hugging in the other, contribute to the warmth of the pieces. This helps the audience perceive the kind of affection these two women have for each other. 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog