God a poem written by Kahlil Gibran is an excellent literature piece. This poem is a narrative of a man, possibly Moses, from the Old Testament of the Bible. This poem is a combination of episodic and organic narrative where the protagonist is not the narrator, in this case God, who is the second figure in the poem. This piece really attracted my attention for its title, along with its method of narration. The poem is about a man going up the mountain to talk God. This man repeats these actions while he recites beautiful verses for him. While God seems to pay him no mind. A thousand-years pass, and this man repeats the same exertion every time with a different praise. God storms by and repeatedly seems to ignore his words. Nevertheless, the man continues a thousand years later with the same activity. Until the last paragraph where the man recites to God this prayer, “My God, my aim and my fulfillment; I am thy yesterday and thou are my tomorrow. I am thy root in the earth and thou art my flower in the sky, and together we grow before the face of the sun.” 

From what I perceive on this last part of the poem, not until the man becomes one with God is when he truly feels his presence. Even though in the initial paragraphs he mentions how he was created by God & that he follows laws of God are his own will, as well as recognizing him as his father, and telling him of how his worship is of pure love, he still obtained no answer. 

In the compellation of all these actions is when he finally obtains his long-awaited answer. Throughout the poem we encounter much symbolism that makes this piece so enjoyable. How the narrator at the end mentions how so sweet was his anticipated answer from God that it swaddled him. From there the narrator mentions how he felt that God was with him anywhere he went. 

 
God by KAHLIL GIBRAN 

In the ancient days, when the first quiver of speech came to my lips, 
I ascended the holy mountain and spoke unto God, saying, “Master, 
I am thy slaveThy hidden will is my law and I shall obey thee 
for ever more.” 
 
But God made no answer, and like a mighty tempest passed away. 
 
And after a thousand years I ascended the holy mountain and again 
spoke unto God, saying, “Creator, I am thy creationOut of clay 
hast thou fashioned me and to thee I owe mine all.” 
 
And God made no answer, but like a thousand swift wings passed 
away. 
 
And after a thousand years I climbed the holy mountain and spoke 
unto God again, saying, “Father, I am thy sonIn pity and love 
thou hast given me birth, and through love and worship I shall 
inherit thy kingdom.” 
 
And God made no answer, and like the mist that veils the distant 
hills he passed away. 
 
And after a thousand years I climbed the sacred mountain and again 
spoke unto God, saying, “My God, my aim and my fulfillment; I am 
thy yesterday and thou are my tomorrowI am thy root in the earth 
and thou art my flower in the sky, and together we grow before the 
face of the sun.” 
 
Then God leaned over me, and in my ears whispered words of sweetness, 
and even as the sea that enfoldeth a brook that runneth down to 
her, he enfolded me. 
 
And when I descended to the valleys and the plains God was there 
also. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog